Thursday, August 29, 2019

2019, Book 18: We are Never Meeting in Real Life by Samantha Irby

Book 17: Heads of the Colored People by Nafissa Thompson-Spiers. A short story collection with a few misses, but several home runs.  Some of these should be turned into short films.

Book 18: We are Never Meeting in Real Life by Samantha Irby.

This is the single funniest creative work I have ever experienced.  Samantha Irby manages to bring it, chapter after chapter.  I honestly still chuckle to myself just thinking about some of the things she writes about.  That's really all I should say.  You just have to read Samantha Irby's pouring of herself in all its nakedness, at once disgustingly honest (far more honest than "brutally honest") and beautifully human.  I'll leave two tidbits here as examples.

Read about what she uses snow for.

Read about the two strokes and a heart attack.  Or was it two heart attacks and a stroke?

Ok, one more: night-only moisturizer.

I'm a big fan of taking advantage of the library.  This is one work I'll be buying my own copy of.  Irby deserves all the royalties and more.  I will go out of my way to support her creative works financially in any way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment