Book 55: Hiroshima Boy by Naomi Hirahara. I could seriously read Mas Arai almost every day. Much more reflective ending than the other Mas Arai novels.
One calendar year, 55 books read, easily my personal best. I can definitely say I have a preference for non-fiction at this point. Within that non-fiction, I can definitely say I have a preference for personal stories and essays, though many weighty issues capture me too. Amongst fiction, I definitely have a deeper appreciation for Asian American writers. The voice in their heads that they commit to the page is the same as the voice inside my head I haven't yet cultivated onto the page. Though I'm sure I'd find differences eventually, there's a lot of reading and writing between then and now.
I will say that to reach this book-a-week goal, I took more than a little time from other pursuits. Those pursuits will re-capture some of that time now. Audiobooks during the commute are definitely an easy keeper. Other books will have a little more competition for my time than they did in 2019.
No comments:
Post a Comment